Friday, June 17, 2011

Land is in Sight

Remember one of my last posts about sailing and being lost at sea?

No? 

Well, you can find it here

I just wanted to give an update.

I'm still paddling in my kayak.

I'm still out in the ocean.

But guess what?

I have spotted land!

Last week I was sailing along, unsure of where I was going.  For all I knew I was paddling in circles. 

My arms were weary from paddling across the wide, wide ocean. 

I almost wanted to give up.

But Father God came and rescued me.

He gave me a gust of wind to push me along...not a teeny breeze that isn't felt until you look around and see the changes...and not such a huge gale force that it would slam me into shore...but the perfect strength.

A push that helped me see that land was, in fact, in sight.  That I had been headed in the right direction.  That all that paddling was paying off.

He gave me such a wonderful push that the rest of this week I have been able to rest my weary arms and just drift a bit.

Are you curious?

Are you wondering what happened?

It all started with a trip to Connecticut for a friend's wedding.  I knew that I had a potential interview, but nothing written in stone.
Tuesday morning the interview was confirmed for the next day at 2pm.

Then, Tuesday night I checked my emails to find an email from a friend in CT whose parents owned some apartments...would I be interested in looking at one?

Wednesday morning came around and I had the opportunity to tour the apartment.  It had everything I had on my 'need to have' list. 

They were:
In a specific town
Have its own laundry room
Large kitchen
Yard for kids to play in

Each 'requirement' was met. Only better than I could have dreamed.

What it also had that I wasn't expecting was an awesome price...with landlords that I know and trust. 

Wednesday afternoon came around.  I dropped the boys off at a friends house and headed into Hartford for the interview.

I ran through Dunkin Donuts and treated myself to a fun coffee (with whipped cream and caramel...of course).

I easily found my way to St. Francis in downtown. 

I was early so I sat in the car in the parking garage and read some verses.  I knew God was with me.

This place is huge.mammoth.massive.justplainexpansive. big.

I couldn't believe I was interviewing there.  It was, truly, a dream come true.

The manager came to the information desk to meet me. 

As we walked through the corridors, he talked a bit of his story and how he became successful at St. Francis.  He told me a bit of the institution and how it has expanded over the years. I was amazed at how easy he was to converse with and I felt as though we were on the same page.

We interviewed for a few minutes and then I was able to walk through the Emergency Department.  What an amazing and modern facility!  I was praying for the opportunity to work there.

After meeting some of the other registrars I was able to again sit down to finish up the interview.  We talked a bit...about my education and other work experiences.

What I did not expect came next:

I got the job.

Yes, you read right.

I GOT THE JOB.

The manager was very encouraging and supportive.  He said that with my education and personal drive I will have many opportunities to grow within St. Francis.  He said all I have to do is to work hard, give it my all, and the promotions will come automatically.  I was speechless.  I think I may have even stared blankly for just a moment.

As he walked me back to the elevator to the parking garage, we visited some more.  He asked me my reasons for moving to CT.  I told him of the church I would be attending. I told him of the awesomeness of the support of my brothers and sisters in Christ. I told him that I just.simply.loved New England. I told him it was a childhood dream...and I thanked him for the opportunity to fulfill my dream.  I think he understood...he had told me his story about a young man who started at St. Francis decades ago with only a dream and some ambition. 

God is so good. God is so merciful. God wants to give us gifts.  All we have to do is ask and then trust He will give whatever is best for us.

So, here is where I am.  I'm once again at the stage of trusting and obeying with the faith that He will provide.

In 2 weeks human resources will contact me for another interview to verify things and set my salary/benefits.

In 2 weeks I have to let the family know if I am going to be able to take the apartment.

The next 2 weeks I will be praying that God will tell me what to do.

Please.please.please my dear readers, will you pray for me too? 

Here is where I still need to do a bit of paddling in my little boat on the ocean...

My house still hasn't sold. 
My house needs to sell.
But if it doesn't?  How can I turn down these opportunities.

I prayed about these decisions.  God spoke and told me that I had 2 weeks in regards to the job and in regards to the apartment. 

I guess I just need to listen to His word.

Listen. Be Still. Wait upon His timing.

After waking from a bit of a nap last evening, I woke to have this verse running through my head...what better answer do I need?

But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings as eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint...Isaiah 40:31

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Julie! How exciting and encouraging to have so many good things happen at once. We'll be praying that God will continue to show you exactly where to be at what time! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Julie, It is so hopeful to be "spotting land" we continue to pray for you, and your decisions.

    ReplyDelete