Thursday, May 22, 2014

So God made a farmer...


I love this clip.

No, I'm not a farmer.

But I come from the heart of farmland.

Maybe at one point in my life, I wanted to run from it.

Maybe not so long ago, I didn't think where and how I was raised had affected me at all.

It wasn't until I was offered the job at Travelers and then was told what line of Business I would be supporting.

(I work with a specific line of business and help them work with IT to implement system changes)

When I was told that I would be supporting the Agriculture line of business I had to laugh.

I was moving to work in a big city...to work in farming.

***
It was my second week of work.  I was overwhelmed, tired, frustrated with myself for not learning faster, and just plain exhausted.

I had a short training session scheduled with one of the VP's of Agriculture that I will be working closely with.  At the time of the meeting, I didn't have any ideas of what it was about.  I figured it was how our roles interact, etc.

It was to teach me about farming.

'Bob' is a great guy.  He is nice and so easy to work with.  However, I could almost sense a frustration of sorts when I first walked in the room.  Later, I wondered if it was because he was going to have to teach this girl about farming and probably didn't really have the time to try and explain to a girl what farming was.

He sat down next to me and explained that we cover property and liability, but our specific division doesn't cover production...and that I probably thought that the farmer who milks the cow, puts the milk in the jug.  And that the farmer who grows the grain makes the grain into flour.

I honestly didn't know how to react.

My first thought was: "PEOPLE REALLY THINK THAT???????????"

I honestly didn't know what to do.  Thoughts were swirling around in my head.

Do I respect him and let him go on?

Or do I politely interrupt and tell him the truth?

I honestly don't remember what I said or how I said it.

All I remember was words tumbling out of my mouth and then eventually said:


  • My grandpa was a dairy/chicken farmer
  • My dad managed a farm equipment store
  • My brother in law is a grain farmer
  • And I worked at an orchard for 3 years
  • I grew up in farmland Ohio. 

The look on his face was priceless.

It went from 'I have to tell this chic about farming' to 'WHOOHOO someone who knows something about this topic!'

Our session soon went from 'myths about farming to discussions about risks of crop insurance, Farm Bureau and other such topics.

He had even heard of Wayne County, Ohio.

***

So maybe I'm not really a farmer.

I'm not out working a million hours a week to keep America fed.

But what I am doing is helping to keep the computer system going so that farmers can be insured properly.

That counts towards something, right?

I left Wayne County to get to work in farming.

Life is funny sometimes.

1 comment:

  1. Chills. I love how God is in the little details of life. How the life we've lived, the things we go thru help prepare us for the days ahead. They are not lost. They have meaning. Praising God for how He moved you to the City ... to work in farming. I'll echo the WhooHoo!!

    ReplyDelete