Friday, September 16, 2011

While You're Still Six

I have this weird thing of always taking pictures of my kids on the day before their birthday.

I know its kinda backwards, but I have my reasons.

Rhianna turned 7 today.  I have a whole year of taking pictures of her when she is 7.  But yesterday I had my last chance to get pictures of her when she was still 6.  So that is what I did. 



I love this one...I know her face is fuzzy but its because she was giggling so hard.  And I love that sound.   


After the pictures we went inside and got ready for bed.  I tucked her in and told her I was going to finish her cookies for her school treat.  She wanted 'princess gowns for the girls and castles for the boys'.

By the time I finished up all my cookie orders along with her cookies it was well past 2 am.  I was insanely exhausted. For this wasn't the first night this week I saw 2 am.  

As I lay in bed I couldn't help thinking about my girlie.  I can't wait to see her future.  To see how she grows into a Godly, beautiful young woman.  But I can't help but mourn the passing time. It is going by so fast. She was born at 6:15 am so I knew that technically I had 4 more hours of her being 6.

I snuck out of bed and woke her up.  I told her to go to my bed.  When she groggily crawled in my bed I told her that I wanted to snuggle her while she was 6 and while she turned 7.  She smiled softly and as she snuggled me she said "Mommy. I love you so much."

This morning I drug myself out of bed.  Feeling every joint, every muscle and feeling sightly nauseous from exhaustion.  Knowing that I had another rigorous day ahead of me.  I wasn't sure if it had been worth it staying up that late the night before.

Rhianna went downstairs and peered into the box of cookies I had set aside for her.  She slightly gasped and said "Oh. Mommy.  They are so much more beautiful than I had hoped for."  Then I knew.  The exhaustion was completely worth hearing those words and seeing the joy on her face.

I have the sweetest daughter.Ever.  She has her moments, but she is always concerned for other people's feelings and their happiness.  She always wants to spread joy and love to those around her.  I'm so blessed to call her mine. 

I just hope she knows how special she is to me.  I just hope that for every time I fail her as a mother she remembers the times I tried to do what was right. 

I'm excited to experience '7' with her.  I had nothing but joy experiencing '6'.

No comments:

Post a Comment