Sunday, February 13, 2011

Surprise Party

This past week I opened to 1st Corinthians 2:9: Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love Him.

Maybe because it was the week of my birthday, maybe it was because of everything changing in my life right now, I don't know. But I read this verse differently.  I read it as a personal note to me from my Abba.

In the past, I would always read it as what God is preparing in heaven for me.  But this week,I felt it was a hint, a glimpse, a clue to the surprises that God has in store for me this year.  My gift from God.

I hate to admit but, even at my age, I love surprises.  I love the giddy feeling of excitement and wonderment.  I love to think that someone thought of me. And acted on it.  Childish, yes.  Silly, maybe. I thought with age (ahem...) it would go away.  But it hasn't. Yet.

So as I read this verse, I felt that deep down bubbly feeling surface. Those emotions that just consume a soul.  I just knew that God was planning a surprise for me. Just for me. One that I cannot fathom or even begin to imagine.  I felt as though this verse was the clue that I tripped over.  My Father in heaven is planning an amazing party for me, and He let me in on it. I didn't get a full view, only just a glimpse.

At this point, when I realized what I discovered, I wanted to shout for joy!  My Father wants to pour down blessings upon me!  Ones that I cannot envision!  All I have to do, is make sure I am ready for the party and listen to His direction.

So, today as I turn 31, I realize that I am not there yet.  I do not have all the answers I thought I would when I hit my 30's.  But I do know that I have been invited to the party and I am getting ready to attend.  Who else is coming with me? 
On a more personal note, I found this picture of me and my dad on one of my birthdays.

 Dad would occasionally bring me a few simple red carnations on my day.  I loved getting the flowers from him... and just being. With him. He was a kindred spirit.  So as I think back over the past years and specifically this week and what God has promised me, I see it as a gift. A birthday gift.  One that He knew I needed.  I won't be getting carnations this year from my dad, I will be getting surprise blessings from my Abba in heaven. And for that I am grateful.  And excited.  And ready to receive. Won't you come too?

No comments:

Post a Comment