Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Growing Pains

Lately Reagan has been having issues with growing pains.  It seems like most nights at bedtime he cries because his shins and knees hurt. I get him some Advil, snuggle him and rub his legs a bit. Thankfully he soon settles down and can sleep.

I hate to see him in so much pain.  But I am thankful he is having them.  This may sound odd, me being thankful, but I am.  Reagan had issues with his stomach the first 2 1/2 years of his life.  Which caused him to not like to eat.  Needless to say, he didn't grow quickly.  Now at 5 1/2 he is starting to eat better causing him to grow.

His pediatrician said often children like him will go on a rapid growth spurt to 'catch up' to where they should be.  He said to expect Reagan to have a harder time with growing pains that my other two. 

Because I love him, I don't like it.  But because I love him, I know it is best for him.  Growing pains result in growth.  I don't want my son to be small and unhealthy forever. I want him to grow into a strong man.  But he must endure growing pains to reach his full potential.  While he is going through these pains I will be there to massage his legs and give him some advil to give him the ability to get through the painful times.

Isn't God just like that?  I don't think He likes to see us in pain. I don't think He enjoys seeing us endure an experience that causes us heartache. But I think He loves us enough to allow these things knowing that with painful growth results in us getting closer to reaching our full potential. 

God gives us His word, prayer, the church, fellowship, hymns and praise to be as a balm.  To be like the Advil and massages I give my son.  He gives them to us freely to get through the growing pains so that we can be stronger and more effective for His kingdom.  We just have to be willing to open up and accept the medication given.

While going through a painful time I want to shout and say "I want to be weak. I want to be small and useless. I am tired of this pain. I don't want to grow anymore." But when I allow God to fully comfort me I know it will be worth it.  And then when that painful time is over I can see how much taller, stronger and effective I am.

With each painful experience comes growth. It may not be the calcification of the cartiladge in the epiphyseal growth plate, but the tenderizing of the heart, strengthening of your faith, increasing in your compassion or growing in wisdom. 

Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer. From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I. ~Psalm 61:1-2 

No comments:

Post a Comment