Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Yesterday's T&A

Surgery was scheduled for 1:45.

We needed to get to Children’s Hospital by 12:15.

To do all the paperwork.

And get the wrist bands.

Even one for Becky.
We went to the 4th floor to do all the necessary ‘stuff’ that comes with having surgery.
Gowning up was first.

Even Becky had a gown, slippers, and surgical cap.
The nurses were great.
They all clearly explained to Rhianna what was going to take place.

She stayed calm and only occasionally mentioned she was nervous.

I think I was more nervous than she was.
They let Rhianna choose which scent of chapstick to have in her anesthetics mask.


She went on a short walk with the Life Skills social worker.

To see what the hallway looked like going back to surgery.

A few minutes after, Dr. Masin came in to let us know our wait was up.

We were next.

Rhianna laid there calming watching Tom and Jerry.

The nurse came in next and said it was time to go.

She checked the wrist band to make sure it was Rhianna.

She checked Becky’s wrist band too. 

To make sure she was Becky.

Rhianna gave me a hug and kiss and walked out the exam room down the hallway with the nurse.

I think I was having a harder time with it than she was.

I was starved at this point. 

I hadn’t eaten lunch because I didn’t want to eat in front of my girlie (who was hungry from no food for so long).

I ran walked as fast as I could to the cafeteria. 

They had said the surgery would take about 20 minutes with 15 in recovery before I could come back.

I did not want to be MIA when my girlie was waking up.

I absolutely inhaled my cheeseburger and fries. (Thanks, Mom, for the treat!)

Grabbed an ice tea to go.

Stopped at the vending machines for some M&M’s to get me through the next 4 hours of recovery.

Ran walked really fast back up to the 4th floor.

The doctor soon came out and told me that everything went great. 

15 more minutes until I can see her.

That is where I am now.

Knowing my girlie is slowly waking up with the nurses.

I’m hoping she doesn’t realize I’m not there yet.


I couldn’t get reception for my cell while we were waiting in the exam room.

Rhianna still hasn’t gotten to read her get well notes from the last post and those left on Facebook.

I’m hoping to get a signal in recovery.

If not, I’ll read them tonight when we get home.

Her face LIT up when I told her how many sent her a note of well-wishes and prayers.

Thank you for those.

I wish I had a picture of her sweet smile when I told her everyone who posted.  Even the people she doesn’t know and only know her through the blog. 

It did exactly what I wanted it to do.  It made her smile.


The nurse soon came to take me back to see her.

As I walked through the halls I listened to hear the cries of my girlie.

The nurse led me to her bed and she lay there sleeping peacefully.

The nurse looked at me and said “You have the sweetest little girl.  She’s so, so sweet.

Even coming out of anesthesia.” 
I smiled back and said “I know”.

As the nurse and I talked we realized she used to work with my friend.

(Michelle, Tammy T. says ‘hello’…in case I forget to tell you :-)

She asked me if I had anyone else waiting in the waiting area.

I said ‘no’.

We are soon wheeled over to secondary recovery.  Where fluids and cold things are pushed.

Again, I was asked by another nurse, “Is there anyone else with you today?” 

Again, I said ‘no’.

Again, not sure why this bothered me. 

I’m extremely independent.

Maybe even borderline loner at times.

I know that if I needed someone, all I needed to do was text them and they would be there.

It just felt different this time.

**Back to Rhianna**

Rhianna slept some more and woke up just enough to get a small bit of water down.

The nurse sent the pain med prescription to the Outpatient Pharmacy (so I wouldn’t have to stop on the way home.)

While Rhianna was sleeping, I snuck out and over to the Pharmacy.

I popped into the gift shop for a balloon.

I just wanted to see her smile when she really woke up.

After a bit of sleeping; she woke up to eat a few bites of blue slushie.

And smiled at the balloon.  

She seems to be doing well; just her tummy hurts worse than her throat.

After the slushie she laid back down and said “Mommy, I’m ready to have you read me my notes.”

I think God knew that she would need the notes from my readers now instead of then.

With each note she would softly smile; her eyes closed.  Soon she drifted back to sleep.

It was about another hour and the nurse came in and said we could be discharged. 

Rhianna woke up and was much more aware this time.

It was clear the anesthetics were wearing off.

She was helped into a wheelchair.

This was the time I dreaded. 

I had to walk away from her and have a stranger volunteer push her to the front.

Rhianna does not like riding in the glass elevator at Children’s.  I had told her I would have her face the doors and not the back windows.

I didn’t realize I wouldn’t be walking down with them.

I completely forgot to tell the nurse about this.

Not remembering until I reached the parking deck.

My heart sunk.

She was still groggy.nauseous from the surgery.

Watching the fall of the elevator from the 4th floor to the 3rd would not help her tummy.

I felt like I failed her.

I soon pulled around to the main entrance and saw her sitting in the wheelchair with the volunteer. 

You could tell they had been chatting.

I helped her in the car and I heard him say “You have a good night sweetie”

From the tone of his voice, I could tell her sweetness touched his heart too.

We made it home and within minutes she asked for Mac and Cheese.

I think she will recover just fine.

She went downstairs to the playroom and played awhile.

I think she is doing great.

(Disclaimer: I had to sadly refuse the mac and cheese.  No dairy products or solid foods for a few days.  She thoroughly enjoyed her Italian Ice she had for dinner)

I can’t tell you how many times the nurses would comment on how well she did.

‘This isn’t normal’ were the comments.

It was your prayers.

Thank you, readers, for your prayers.

They were answered.

*Special thanks to those who sent Rhianna comments; they truly did make her feel special during recovery.  Also a thank you to those who sent cards.  They have made her painful recovery much happier. We truly are a blessed family*

No comments:

Post a Comment