Monday, October 28, 2013

Skip Day

It started a few years ago with Riley.

He was having a tough time with life in general.

And who could blame the kid?  Life right then was fairly tough.

I let him skip school.

To have a mommy day.

The only oops in the plan was the day that it happened was the same day as the school's open house.

That evening we went anyhow.

I told his teacher why he missed and why I let him.

I loved her response: "I think he needed a day with mom more than he needed my math lesson."

That is a great teacher.

The next year I let him do the same thing.

The teacher's response?

"I don't know what you did with him that day, but I have a different student.  Keep it up."

***
I've come to realize that in all the craziness our life offers, sometimes we just need a skip day.  A day to spend one on one.  Not doing anything overly exciting.  But just being together in the quietness of the day.

***

Today is Rhianna's skip day.

It wasn't planned (they never are).

This morning I went to moms to wake them up for school.  (I worked last night).

Rhianna woke up in a mood.  Not bad necessarily; just a mood.

I could tell she needed some mom time.

She asked for her skip day to be today. (They get only one a year).

I am off today so I saw no reason to say no.

I told her that it would be a busy day.

We would be working on packing then unpacking.

***

Having Skip Day as a tradition in our family has made a huge impact on my children as individuals.

Its a simple thing that makes for great changes.


No comments:

Post a Comment