Thursday, March 1, 2012

Six-Week Bran Muffins

In attempts at being a better mother, I made fresh bran muffins for the kiddos to grab for breakfast.  This week we have been doing horrid and they have been eating nasty-sugary cereal. 

Time to get back on track.

These bran muffins are my favorite to make.  For two reasons. 

One: They are the softest, yummiest, most delicious bran muffin. Ever.  It doesn't have that harsh fiber taste but a sweet tang.  My kiddos love them.

Two: The batter keeps for six weeks in the refrigerator.  Which is awesome.  I can whip up a dozen at a time and not feel overwhelmed with another mess. 

Six-Week Bran Muffins:
  • One cup boiling water (I put it in the microwave for a few minutes) and add one cup of Bran Flakes.  Stir well and let cool. Ends up an icky looking paste:
  • Cream 1/2 cup butter, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 2 eggs, and 2 cups buttermilk.  Add cooled wet bran mixture. 
 {*Tip* If you don't have buttermilk, simply pour 1-2 tsp of vinegar in measuring cup and add milk to measure the full 2 cups.}



  •  Add 2 1/2 cups flour, 2 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt.

{*Tip*  Recipes usually suggest sifting together the dry ingredients separately before adding to wet.  I sometimes do this and sometimes skip it.  I haven't noticed a difference in the outcome.  I prefer to skip it...one less bowl to wash.}
  • Gently fold in 2 cups of Bran Flakes just until wet.  Fill muffin liners 2/3 full and place in muffin tin.
  • Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. 


I only bake one dozen at a time.  The remaining batter can be stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to six weeks.  I will put a generic label on the container so I remember when the expiration date is. 

We never make it to the date...the muffins are so yummy they are baked and gobbled up within days.


  • Remove from tin and let cool on a wire rack.


Enjoy!

*This morning went as planned.  The kids got themselves up.  Got dressed in the clothes we had laid out for them and then ate the muffins I had sitting out.  And me?  I got a few extra minutes of sleep.  Mission accomplished.


1 comment: