Friday, December 14, 2012

Oglebay

I wanted to make this Christmas special in its own way. 

After moving into a small apartment, I soon realized we didn't need everything I thought we needed.  Most of the toys the kids thought they liked were soon forgotten, boxed up. 

I wasn't overly excited about buying new toys to bring in.  They soon get shoved aside and forgotten.  So this Christmas is going to be a bit slim in the gift department. 

I don't want the kids to feel that they were jipped in some sort of way, so I decided to make memories this year instead of gifts.

Last week we went to Oglebay to the Winter Festival of Lights.  I asked my friend Norma, from work, to go along and she was excited I asked her.  She has come along with me on many of my crazy adventures!

Oglebay is in Wheeling, WV.  It is about 2-2 1/2 hours from here.  Yep.  I drove 2+ hours each way in one night to see Christmas lights.

But oh my. Was it worth it.

We left around 4:30 stopping at Mickey D's for dinner (part of the fun night out).  We made it to Oglebay around 7:30 after stopping multiple times for potty breaks.  (I don't get it.  We have to stop twice for potty breaks on a 2 hour drive.  We have to stop twice for potty breaks on our 9 hour drives.  Must be some rule about stopping twice).

The kids thought I was crazy for doing this.  I went there once as a child, vaguely remembering it, but remembering it was awesome.  I hoped it was worth it. 

Memories are easy to pack and last a lifetime, a toy needs picked up, put away, and is easily broken.

We pulled in and immediately went under a long tunnel of lights.  The kids sat up and took notice.

It was incredible.  I tried to take pictures but they came out fuzzy in the dark. 

We drove around for a little over an hour, laughing and pointing at all the amazing light displays.  Some were perched up on a hillside, while others looked like they were moving. 

We headed home around 9 and made it home in 2 hours, just a little past 11. 

We woke up a little groggy the next morning for school, but it was so worth it.  I'm hoping that the kids remember this crazy trip. 

I'd recommend it to anyone!

*Here's the link to their website so you can see the amazing displays: Oglebay Winter Festival of Lights

No comments:

Post a Comment