Friday, January 25, 2013

Living Bible Museum: Day trip

To fight the winter blues I have decided to do something besides work, school, and sit at home alone with the kids.

I've been trying to do fun day trips or find cheap things to do for fun on the weekends.

Last Saturday we took a day trip to The Living Bible Museum in Mansfield. 

I invited Maddie, my niece, to come along but she had been sick all week and couldn't come. 

Instead I asked Molly, my other niece, if she wanted to join in on the fun.  We were so excited when she agreed!

I had heard about the museum before but had never been there.  Actually, mom said she took us there when we were little but I don't remember it. 

I wasn't sure what to expect.  I knew it was a museum of wax figures or of mannequins displayed to show Biblical stories. 

There were four tours.  Old Testament, The Life of Christ, and two others more suitable for older children. 

I told the kids we would pick one tour (each an hour) and do that one but if they were really good and wanted to do the second one we could.

They all voted for Miracles of the Old Testament.

It was awesome!

All I can say is if you have a few hours one Saturday and need a fun day trip, go take these tours.  They were very interesting, very well-done.  The art was amazing and the narrating of the story was great as well.

Once the tour was over, the guide commented on how well behaved they were (I told him bribery of an ice cream cone does wonders:-) and also that he could tell they know their stories!

The kids begged to go on the second tour, The Life of Christ.

How do you tell 4 darling kids 'No' when they are begging for more time spent 'in' the Bible?

We took a quick potty break and headed to the next tour.

Funny thing was after the tour 4 out of 5 of us said we liked the Life of Christ tour better, but 5/5 voted we do Old Testament first.

I went to the website and stole a few pictures.  Just to show you how amazing it was. And seriously.  These pictures do not do the tours justice.  Much, much better in 'real life'.

23rd Psalm
Almost all of the animals were ones they purchased from a taxidermist. 
We saw sheep, cows, donkeys, doves, you name it.
The art was incredible! 

The Last Supper
One of my top ten favorites.  The narrator goes through each disciple posed here and tells their name and a bit about them.  It also describes what they could have been thinking during this time based on their personalities. 
 Definitely brought The Twelve to life.  Extremely educational and realistic.

   Jesus loves the little children of the world!
One of the kids' favorites!  Shows Jesus sitting with all nationalities of children .  Beautifully done.

On our way out, I grabbed a quick pic of the kiddos:
 
As promised on the way home we stopped at McDonald's for a quick ice cream cone. 
 
I'm planning on taking Riley back for a one on one trip to see the other two tours.  We can't wait to go!
 
I can't tell you how many times this past week I have said "Oh, remember that story!  We saw the display of it at the museum...remember it looked like such and such" and the kids' light bulbs go off in their heads.  It ended up being more than a fun day out.  I'm hoping they'll remember it for a long time. 
 
I would highly recommend this tour to everyone!! Adults and children alike.
 
We can't wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment