Tuesday, March 26, 2013

How Queen Lucy had a second chance and what that has to do with me

Every night, at bedtime, I read the children a chapter out of a book in a series.  We started Chronicles of Narnia a little before Christmas.  If you have not read this series run, not, walk to get them!  My children have of course enjoyed it, but I have grown spiritually in leaps and bounds from reading this series.

There are so many 'aha' moments that I simply cannot write about them all. 

But this one, I must.

Most of my readers know of my journey to move to Connecticut.  Someday I will share the journey of how I came to feel led, but that I am still pondering in my heart in amazement how God has continued to show me everytime I have asked Him to show me.

I digress.

Brief overview is that when I was 20 I felt God telling me to move.  Obviously, I didn't listen.  In my head I said "I will later, when I'm done having fun with my friends here." 

Well.  That didn't work out so well for me.

Thankfully, God is giving me another chance.  Although because of my disobedience to follow Him the first time, this journey east is a bit harder, more mountains to climb, and rocks to stumble over.  What looked like too hard a journey to take 13 years ago, would have been much simpler.

Where does Queen Lucy come into all of this? 

In Price Caspian, the four Kings and Queens of Narnia were trying to figure how to get to Aslan's How and the Stone Table.  Queen Lucy saw in the far distance a lion.  It was Aslan, the lion.  But she didn't have the confidence to follow him without the other 3 coming as well.  They decided to take what appeared to be the easier course, talking Lucy into following them.  This was, of course, was the wrong way and harder in the end.

Soon into their journey they realized they were lost.  Fighting for their lives, they soon knew there was no way out.  After some time, Aslan reveals himself to Lucy again and she is determined to follow him, even when the other three cannot see him.  She convinces the others to follow her with Aslan.  They finally relent.

The journey is hard.  Extremely hard.  But this is because they are so far off course.  Aslan must lead them through rough terrain to get them back to where they belong.  Even though the journey is painful, Aslan is guiding them safely through.

There is so much adventure that I am not going to divulge.  You need to read it for yourself, and let God speak to you through this wonderful allegorical book.

But I am going to share with you an excerpt that screamed to me to keep on my journey and not give up, no matter how difficult the climb (and how awesome is it that the moon is mentioned?  Anyone who knows me, knows I love the moon!) :

Prince Caspian (Book 4, Chronicles of Narnia) C.S. Lewis  Chapter 11, pg 160-161

Presently they came to another steep path, up the face of the farther precipices. These were far higher than the ones they had just descended, and the journey up them was a long and tedious zig-zag.  Fortunately the Moon shone right above the gorge so that neither side was in shadow. 

Lucy was nearly blown when the tail and hind legs of Aslan disappeared over the top: but with one last effort she scrambled after him and came out, rather shaky-legged and breathless, on the hill they had been trying to reach ever since they left Glasswater.  The long gentle slope stretched up to where it vanished in a glimmer of trees about half a mile away.  She knew it.  It was the hill of the Stone Table.

Where am I in this journey?  I don't know.  I could be further back than what I realize.  I could only be halfway. It feels like its almost over, I hope its almost over. But in reality I'm not sure how far this journey is, I only know how far I've come. 

I am sure that Jesus is leading me.  I can't see what is over the next cliff.  I don't know if its yet another struggle another cliff, or if this is my final one.  Maybe I soon will scramble over, come out rather shaky legged and breathless, to find that the final door will be opened and I can go. 

One thing I know for sure, is that I can praise Him in allowing me another chance and I can also praise Him in the wonderful lessons I learned on this journey.

Thanks for coming alongside me and cheering me on, praying that I can continue to climb through this. 

And seriously, go get the series!!!

1 comment:

  1. David and I read this series out loud together a few years ago (he'd read them many times before, but I never had.) These books were absolutely life-changing for me....and I agree, there are SO many amazing moments that just leap out at you and take you deeper into God.

    ReplyDelete