Saturday, March 30, 2013

Spring Break '13

For the first time in my life, I'm excited for Monday.

Don't get me wrong, we've had a great week. 

But too much of a good thing often becomes no longer a good thing.

This past week was the kiddos Easter Break from school. 

We rarely do anything fun, so I was determined to do a few fun things with them.

This is kinda a rambly post...just a fair warning.  Mostly for me to remember.  

Friday:
(Of course Spring Break starts the minute they exit the school...even though technically it starts Monday morning)
The week before Riley went ice skating for the first time and LOVED it.  I thought it sounded like a great way to burn some energy. 
We met some friends there.  I rented skates as well so that if one of the kids fell, I could easily get to them.  What.on.earth.was.I.thinking?!?! I've never ice skated before.  So as I was skating around the edge, and Reagan falls down in the center of the ring, I just stood there thinking to myself "Good luck buddy, because there is NO way I am skating where I am out of reach of something." 

The kids did great and caught on rather quickly.  I think I would've done better had the thought of "NO health insurance" wasn't rolling around in my head.

Later in the week, Reagan told me he couldn't wait until his birthday so I could buy him ice skates.  And he couldn't wait until we moved to CT so he could skate more.  A boy after my own heart.

Saturday:
Busy day.  Laundry, cleaning, and such. Had a rousing game of backyard kickball.  Rhianna had a birthday party to go to and Reagan had a friend over. 

Sunday:
Church

Miss Maddie's 8th birthday party :-)  Fun times.  Can't believe she's 8!

Monday:
I worked in the morning and then sadly I have no idea what we did the rest of the day. :-( 

Tuesday:
I worked and then in the afternoon the kids had friends over.  We tie dyed shirts (Yes, I'm crazy.  There were NINE kids in my tiny apartment).  After the shirts we played a lively game of kickball that became fairly intense (just Riley and myself...everyone else just acted like normal people). 
Then we dyed eggs and then had a quick egg hunt. 
Exhausted, I drove everyone home and came back and took a quick nap.

Wednesday:
Woke up with a massive headache expecting the day to be exceedingly awful. (I'm not a big fan of March 27th)  and headed into work only to find out we weren't working :-)  Went home and hit the bed until I was called back into work to cover someones lunch.

That afternoon/evening the kids and I met my friend Tami at my aunts to make up plates of cookies to pass out to the residences at our church's Nursing Home apartments.

Before I left, the phone rang and it was a florist with flowers for me.  I told her to meet me at my aunts.  The bouquet was beautiful with a lovely note saying "From a Friend who cares."  Whoever you are, thank you.  It truly made my day.

The kids had a blast passing out the plates of goodies.  We made it home fairly late that evening (7:30ish) and I realized I hadn't fed my kids.  Riley said "Mom, I'm stuffed."  He then confessed that every place he stopped either gave him a cookie, candy, or a tip.  I just had to shake my head and grin.  He is rather handsome.

At 8pm some friends came over (same friends as ice skating friends) for a late night egg hunt.  I had this brilliant idea to paint the eggs with glow in the dark paint.  The idea was only great in theory.  The paint did not glow. whatsoever.
So we had a egg hunt in the dark and I must say there was no bumped heads (to my delight and surprise).

After the egg hunt we had Hot Chocolate Sundaes and angel food cake.  It was freezing out.  (HCS are simply ice cream in hot chocolate :) 

The three boys played dodge ball downstairs while Anna and I sat up and visited.  Rhianna (the only girl) played in her room.  We talked for quite some time, encouraging each other in our quest to beat the odds and succeed as single moms. 

The day ended up being not quite as horrific as I had expected.  I had a good long cry, missing my dad and then was just thankful I had the dad that I had for the time I had him.

Thursday:
Thursdays are my cleaning days so Rhianna came along and helped out a bit.  It was fun to have one on one time with my girlie. 
Thursday afternoon we spent the day cleaning up before the boys headed off to some of their friends to spend the night.  Rhianna was going to spend the night with Laurie and Maddie. 

Which means: I was child-free for the night!!!

Diane and I went to Fairlawn and ran a few errands before having dinner at Applebees.  We left around 9:30 not wanting to go home to face reality, so we headed to WalMart to pick up a few things I had forgotten.
We were almost home when she said "I'm still not ready to go home, lets go get a coffee."  So we ran to Starbucks and sat until almost 11 sipping coffees.
It was a much needed break for both of us and I can tell you we laughed. A lot.  Maybe even too much.  Oh, yea. And one of the best parts?  The whole night was paid for by gift cards.  :) :) Made it guilt free.

Friday:
Worked in the morning. 

Got kids around noon.

Dealt with crabby, fussy, bickering kids until time for church.

Spent the evening listening and being reminded of our Savior, Jesus Christ, and His love for us.  (And I had my sweetie nephew the whole night). 

Brought home a friend to spend the night.

Baking lemon cheesecakes to deliver in the morning.

Tomorrow?

Deliver cakes
Set up dessert table at Aunt Kate's birthday party/singing
Rhianna goes to Maddie's birthday party
Easter Egg hunt
Aunt Kate's Birthday Singing/Reception

I think there's something else, but I can't remember.

Sunday:

Church: I get to substitute in Sunday School and teach a great group of 5/6 year olds.  So.much.fun.   Of course, Easter Dinner.  We have some surprises for the nieces (nephew too little for candy :)  and other fun projects planned for Sunday night.

Phew.  What a week.

That's why I'm ready for Monday.
Back to routine.  Back to a schedule. 

We had a wonderful week and even though it was simple, I hope the kids enjoyed themselves and can look back with good memories.

But I'm tired.

I need a Spring Break to recoup from their Spring Break.  :-)
  

No comments:

Post a Comment