Thursday, February 6, 2014

Breathe

Oh my! What routine and structure can do for a person.

Maybe its because I'm slightly OCD?

Or maybe its because my life has had too much trauma and I like control?

Or maybe its because I have so much going on that routine and structure are my survival?

Either way, I like routine.  I like structure :-)

It was a wonderful and amazing day.

The day off I had been anxiously on for weeks.

The kids went to school.  The sun shone.  And the snow glittered like diamonds.

I baked a cake for this weekend at work.
(More on that later :-)


I made cupcakes for a birthday party at work next week and saved a few to celebrate Ronald Reagan's birthday with the kids tonight.  After all, when you have a little boy named after him, it is a must that you celebrate his birthday with a cupcake!!

I did a bit of cleaning and while I was cleaning I found the most delightful thing:


A bud on a hydrangea plant.  

Last year someone dropped off a gorgeous hydrangea with a note and some money.  The note said "I love you...lean on me.  Love, Jesus."  

I never knew who gave it to me.  

I don't know if they know or just somehow knew that hydrangea's are my favorite. 

I had it in the garage, but it was so cold in there, I brought it inside and put it on my window seat for some sunshine. 

Today I noticed some buds.  

Spring is coming! 

Even if its inside my house. 

It gave me hope that winter is not forever! 

***

I finished a project that has been on my list for months (and months!)  

It wasn't really a necessary project, but a fun one.  One that I never felt was worth spending time on.  But I let myself take the time today.  And I LOVE how it turned out! 

A long, long time ago, we bought fencing to build a fence.  Well, like most things, Randy never got around to finishing it (or even starting it. hah).  I didn't want to just throw it all away, so I saved some of the boards for some fun Pinterest projects to spark my imagination and create my own ideas. 

I spray painted the boards (did that last fall when it was warm) and made them look beach worn.  Not a solid/even spray.  Today I finally took the time to sand them down and put them up.  Add a few fun things and I have a new headboard. 

I stuck the boards to the wall with 3M tacky stuff.  Hoping it holds.  If some boards seem to start slipping, I'll have to get out my hammer and nails.  That's always an adventure.  




I love the picture I have hanging.  Many reasons why I want it right over my bed.   

A good friend drew it for me to give to someone really struggling.  I had to keep a copy and frame it for myself. 

It is the second verse of  'The Solid Rock'.  It was my dad's favorite hymn and was sang at his funeral.  I chose it only because it was his favorite, only realizing years later how appropriate it was for that day. 

When darkness seems to hide His face, I rest on His unchanging grace; 
In every high and stormy gale, My anchor holds within the vale.
On Christ, the Solid Rock, I stand; 
All other ground is sinking sand, All other ground is sinking sand! 

***
I spent some time throughout the day sitting and sipping coffee.  I spent time relishing the quiet.  I needed this day.  I had time for the pause that refreshes. 

I walked to the school to get the kids.  It was cold, but worth getting out in the sunshine.  The snow glittered and the fresh air was refreshing. 

This evening, I grabbed my phone to call my Grandma.  Looking at it I realized I missed a call from work hours earlier. (I accidentally left it on vibrate...oops!) Not sure what they wanted, probably needed me to come in.  I felt a twinge of guilt for not hearing my phone and then stopped myself.  

Tomorrow is back to work.  I work later on in the day, so I'll have a quiet morning to myself.  

Tomorrow starts a hectic week.  But that's okay.  I'm ready for it.  Today, I took time to breathe. 



No comments:

Post a Comment