Thursday, March 6, 2014

Chocolate Bear

Taking a break from writing about the interview-going/job process...partly because I have no other news (getting rather impatient:-) and also because I need to step away from it for a minute.  I need to take a breath and pause.

***

A few weeks ago we celebrated a co-workers and my birthday at work.  We have become good friends and our birthdays are a few weeks apart, but because of both of our travel schedules we had to settle on a day a week before his birthday.  I told him I would bring the cake for our party.

I have a friend who makes a-MA-zing shaped cakes.  I will never be to her caliber of cake shaping/decorating, but wanted to at least attempt something simple.

I thought a chocolate bear would be a good starting point.

I made a double batch of chocolate cake.  I poured the batter into a round cake pan (9") reserving a little for a small round pan (4").  I did 2 of each of this size.


After letting them cool, I stacked the two large ones using chocolate frosting.  I cut one of the smaller cakes into an even smaller circle for the nose/mouth of the bear to look 3-D.  I cut the 2nd smaller cake in half and then attached to the head for ears.  


I put it in the freezer to let it set and went to making the eyes.  I could have used royal icing, but I already had black icing ready for the mouth and pupils of the eyes.  I was too tired to make a batch of icing for white, so I scrounged my cupboards and decided to melt white chocolate and make circles for the eyes.  It was simple and went on the cake easily.  

I made a lighter colored chocolate frosting and then went to work on making the 'fur' of the bear.  I was happy with how it turned out.  In the past when making layered cakes, I always end up with a disaster.  This one actually held together so I was happy with how it came out. 



Why a chocolate bear cake?  Well...David's nickname is Chocolate Bear.  

David...aka Chocolate Bear...reads my blog.  He asked me one night what I would write if I wrote about him.  

David:  Here is your answer: 

I would write that I am thankful you are my friend.  I'm thankful I was given the chance to work with you.  I would write how much you have taught me and made me a better person. 

He told me one night at work that he believes God puts people in our lives for a reason and I couldn't agree more.  David moved to Ohio (Ohio, in return, welcomed him with open arms by showing him how brutal her winters can be) from warm/sunny New Mexico to be with the love of his life.  He taught me that there are people still out there who are willing to sacrifice everything to simply be with the person they love.  I didn't know that existed.  I had only experienced narcissism in my marriage.      

David is different than me.  We grew up in different places in the country (New Mexico vs. Ohio), we grew up in different circumstances (He was adopted),  We look different (He is Indian...I am blech white) and have different personalities. (He is calm and nice while I am a loud spitfire/firecracker).  

During my interviews I was asked about working with diversity...people who are different than myself and how I handle it.  I had to chuckle.  I told them about a certain group of us and how we could not be more different than each other; but how because we are so different we are a strong team.  I told them how I love getting to know people who are completely different than myself because I can learn so much about myself through them.  

David is the one that I often catch going above and beyond to take care of our patients.  I'll often catch him holding one of their hands or tucking them in.  He was recently accepted to start classes to work towards his P.A. and I know he will be great.  He has taught me to not give up on my dreams...even if the road ahead looks difficult. I know why God put David in my life.  I told him (David) that he had life experiences that I will never have and he can teach me a lot through those...And he has.  He was raised by a single mom and has given me advice on how to raise my boys and tells me its okay to show them tough love.  It won't hurt them...its good for them.    He has encouraged me to be a better mom and a better person.  And I'm thankful for that. 

Chocolate Bear...I hope that this says it all.  It was hard to put into words how much I appreciate our friendship.  I'll miss you when I move on :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment