Thursday, March 27, 2014

Success Is

Over the past five years or so, I've been trying to map my way to find success.  

I've done a lot of thinking as to what will happen before I consider myself successful...successful in life and successful in achieving my dreams.  

I thought a lot about what success is and what success looks like.  

As moments come and go, conversations with people happen, achievements are made, and battles won; I realize that success doesn't always look like the VP in the corner office.  It doesn't look wealthy and it doesn't wear a suit.  

Success is changing peoples lives.  Success is being remembered for being kind.  Success is making a difference. 

I had an encounter with a man a few years ago.  He had worked for my dad when he was in his early 20's.  He told me that he learned so much from my dad.  How to manage a successful business.  How to work with people.  How to interact with others.  He said that he would not be the man he was today if it wasn't for the things my dad taught him. 

I reconnected with a man in the hospital.  He greeted me with tears.  My dad was his friend.  My dad made him smile and laugh.  My dad changed his life. 

That is what I want my success to be known as.  I have my dreams that I am shooting for.  But my final goal is to be known as someone who changed people for the good just by their interactions and relationships with me.  

I want to mirror my dad's success. 

Dad taught me how to talk to people.  He taught me how to interact with people.  How to make them feel important.  How to make them smile, just by having a conversation with them.  He showed me how important it was to get to know them as a person and not just another person you have to interact with.  He taught me that you can get so much accomplished if you respect others. He taught me that a smile goes a long way. 

I haven't made the tracks my dad made by my age.  I'm hoping to catch up.  I know I'm not as good at it as my dad was.   He had this knack of making everyone feel important.  He had this ability to draw people in and get them to follow his leadership with trust.   

My ideal success is someday having my children hear the words I have heard about my father.  To have them see the smile on people's faces when they say who their mother is...to hear the stories of how I changed the outlook in their life just because I was kind and encouraging.  

Everyone who knows me knows I have a long way to go.  I have a lot to learn.  I'm a spitfire, tell-it-like-it-is, kind of girl.  But hopefully, my story counts for something and I can find success in similar places my dad did.    

No comments:

Post a Comment