Saturday, April 30, 2011

Laundry Basket Weaponry

I get scared. A lot. Believe it or not, most nights I go to bed scared.

Sometimes I can calm myself down and figure out what made the noise.  And go to sleep.

But. Not always.

There are times that I am terr.i.fied.  Frozen in fear.Trembling.Shaking.Goosebumps.Scared.

So those nights I find a weapon of sorts. Form a plan of attack. And head downstairs.

Being the imaginative creature that I am. I make it worse for myself. 

There has been times where I could have given someone a full description of what the 'intruder' looked like.  Had there been one of course. 

Anyhow. 

My latest experience with an 'intruder' came the other night. 

It was 3 am and I was headed to bed.  I was tired. I was exhausted. I was a bit mind-weary.

I laid in bed and was just dozing off when: I heard/felt a door slam.  The house shook a bit. I shook a lot.

At first I thought. "Julie, quit. Its just your imagination. You are entirely too tired.  Quit this and go to sleep"

Then.

It did it again. Only louder and harder.

Now this could mean one of many things. #1 The 'intruder' left. Mad because I have nothing valuable. #2 It was, again, my imagination. #3 The wind  #4 The 'intruders' buddies coming in behind him. 

I, being the brave protecter of my household, got up and clutched my phone. Quite disappointed that Riley's Nerf guns weren't upstairs.

Yes, I have used Nerf guns as protective weaponry. I even hold them up and creep around the walls like they do in the movies....superwoman style. You don't! want to mess with me.

One night last summer I was so scared I moved all my kids to my bed and locked my door.  Figuring we would all be locked in and safe. Together. Oh, we were locked in all right. My door uses an old fashioned skeletal key. And the next morning I couldn't get it unlocked.  (After a few minutes I finally did. And then I laughed at my situation). 

So as you can see, I am not a stranger to being scared at night.  In fact, its a weekly routine.

I stood at the top of the stairs, peeking down to see if I could see or hear anything. To my fright and horror, there was a light on.  I never leave a light on in the living room. I always shut them off. And I knew I had flipped the switch off when I went upstairs. 

I looked around the hallway, searching for something.anything that I could use as protection.  I saw an empty laundry basket and kicked it down the stairs as hard as I could hoping to scare away the creepy guys.  Nothing happened.  The 'intruders' weren't scared of my clanging noise and didn't leave. 

I honestly don't know what I would have done if I heard people run out and leave.  Probably fainted.  But since that didn't happen I did the next best worse thing. I called the police.

A very kind officer came out and looked around the outside of the house while I stayed on the phone with the dispatcher.  The cop then came to the front door to make sure I was okay.  I was,of course, and explained that I am here alone and get scared.  They (dispatcher and police) were very understanding and said they were glad I called. 

My next biggest fear?  Was the realization that they will print it in the local paper's police blogger.  And that everyone would know it was me.  I guess I beat 'em to it. I'm posting it on-line.

The noise? Well. It was a very, very windy night. I never did find out what it was exactly.  And the light? Well, the light was accidentally left on by me.   Of course.

So it was no one. Just my wild imagination.Again. 

I should do better.

And think of this:

I will both lay me down in peace and sleep; for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety.
~Psalm 4:8~

No comments:

Post a Comment